Students & Alumni
The International Relations, MA Program provides theoretical foundations and practical skills to advance your current career trajectory or transition to a new one. Our students have opportunities to make an impact and our alumni have gone on to work a variety of fields.
Tayler E Stephenson (International Relations MA) is a Wyoming native and grew up in Casper. She joined the Army National Guard after completing her BA in English at the University of Wyoming. Tayler discovered her love of international politics through her time on guard and realized the importance of good leadership in international affairs. She moved to Boston and embarked on a journey to help build a better world. Additionally, she is a part of the BU ROTC program intending to lead people even from within the military. She has a deep passion for community service. She works at the PKG Center at MIT to help bring students to community service. She is dedicated to public service and hopes to work for the government in the future.
Geymi Santana (accelerated master’s student) is passionate about education and how it impacts the economic development of a state. She chose the international relations AMP to shine a light on the importance of education and the crucial role it plays in development. As a student at UMass, she studied IR and education abroad at KU in Seoul, South Korea. Geymi currently holds a fellowship with Boston Plan for Excellence, Americorps, and is an ESL Academics Support fellow for Boston Public Schools while working towards BA and MA in International Relations with a double minor in English and Sociology. Her career goal is to work for the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or with community organizations helping immigrant students.
Our Fulbright Students
- Fulbrighter is at the Forefront of a Media Revolution in Afghanistan. Afghan journalist Samiullah Mahdi featured on PRI The World: Television in Afghanistan is pushing boundaries, and viewers like what they see. Mahdi is studying international relations at UMass Boston on a Fulbright scholarship. Read more about this student.
- International relations students Parfait Gasana and Wade Cedar have won a Diversity and Inclusion (DANDI) Award
- International relations students earns two awards.
Alumni work in a variety of government and non-government organizations, academia, and international humanitarian institutions. Here are some examples:
- Co-founder and President, Kigali Reading Center, Rwanda
- Monitoring and Evaluations Specialist, Media in Education Trust Africa
- Research Associate, Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation, Harvard University
- Freelance Journalist, Myanmar
- Community Developer, Peace Corps, Ukraine
- Collaborative Conflict Management Specialist, Resologics, Inc.
- Account Supervisor, VOX Global Strategic Communications
- Administrator, Global Risk Management and Industries, Marsh Global Insurance Brokers
- Department Supervisor, Ministry of Customs and Trade, Turkey