Admissions & Financial Aid

We encourage you to join other students seeking a research or academic career or wish to assume a leadership role working in the rewarding, high-demand field of gerontology.

Begin by reviewing the university's general application requirements for graduation admission

If you are an international applicant, please see additional requirements

Please note that your application may be delayed if your current last name is different than the last name on your transcripts or other application materials. If this is the case, please email, to alert admissions officers.


Statement of Purpose

Attach a three to four page essay/personal statement on your experiences and why you wish to enter our program.

Official Transcripts

Submit official transcripts from each college or university you attended, even if you were not awarded a degree.

You must demonstrate evidence of a bachelor's degree.

GRE Scores

GRE scores ar not required to apply for the PhD program. If you wish to provide your official GRE Score Report, you may. You can use institutional code 3924 when you register for the exam.

Letters of Recommendation

Submit three letters of recommendation from people familiar with your academic abilities.

Application Fee

Don't forget the application fee.

Application Deadline

June 1 for fall admissions*

*Review of applications will begin February 15. Those wishing to receive priority consideration for funding should submit their application by this date.

Graduate Financial Aid

Graduate assistantships may be awarded to matriculated doctoral students who are in good academic standing (e.g., GPA of 3.0 or higher).

There is no credit minima required to hold an assistantship. 

International students must hold an F1 visa in order to be eligible to be employed as a graduate assistant.

Types of graduate assistantships available:

  • Teaching Assistant I (TA I): A graduate student employed on a salaried basis who is primarily assigned to instructional support activities.
  • Teaching Assistant II (TA II): A graduate student employed on a salaried basis that is the instructor of record for a lecture section of a course and has independent responsibility for its teaching and grading.
  • Research Assistant (RA): A graduate student who is employed on a salaried basis to perform work primarily related to academic research or other similar work.
  • Administrative Assistant (AA): A graduate student who is employed on a salaried basis to perform work of an administrative or technical nature.

Under the terms of the Graduate Employee Organization (GEO) contract, a full-time assistantship is defined as 18 hours a week; partial awards are also available. However, all students, including international students, are permitted to work 20 hours a week on campus while classes are in session.

Learn more about assistantships, grants, loans, and federal Work-Study awards.

Gerontology PhD Student Travel Support

Doctoral students are encouraged to present research papers at local and national conferences. Funds are available to help support their travel needs.

Dissertation Support

Gerontology PhD students who have completed a concept paper accepted by all members of her/his dissertation committee and who have formally constituted a dissertation committee as approved by the Graduate Program Director and the Dean of Graduate Studies are eligible to apply for these funds. Students must have completed their course work and successfully completed the qualifying paper exam to receive an award. Students may receive dissertation support only once during their program of study.

Learn more about the gerontology dissertation support program. Here is the application form to apply for support.