Admissions & Financial Aid
We encourage you to join other like-minded innovators and problem-solvers in this exciting PhD Program in Public Policy.
Final decisions are made and communicated throughout April.
Statement of Purpose
Submit a combined autobiographical sketch and personal statement (1500 words) highlighting your interests, reasons for applying, and how your life events have led you to apply for a PhD in Public Policy, including answers to the following questions:
- What are your career objectives?
- How will a PhD in public policy advance those objectives?
- In what ways does the UMass Boston Public Policy Program address your particular academic, career, and personal goals?
- What do you see as your primary activity five years after receiving your PhD degree?
- What professional, personal, and academic experiences have especially equipped you for the challenges of graduate school?
- What personal strengths will you bring to your graduate-level studies?
- What personal limitations or hurdles do you anticipate you must address in order to complete graduate school?
- What research and public policy issues are you interested in pursuing at UMass Boston?
- What research and public policy experiences have prepared you for research in the Public Policy Program and a career in public policy?
Include official transcripts of all prior academic work, including evidence of a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
Letters of Recommendation
Solicit three letters of recommendation, at least two of which should come from individuals who can assess academic preparation for advanced graduate work.
Include a short (3-5 page) academic writing sample or professional policy brief
Submit official GRE scores. Previous scores less than five years old will be accepted.
Our institutional code is 3924 when you register for the exam.
Résumé or CV
Attach a current résumé or CV listing your educational background on the top of page one with degree(s) earned, name(s) of school(s), major(s) and overall GPA(s).
Don't forget the application fee!